- You are here
- Health & Well-being
- Health & Well-being - Drug, Alcohol and Health Promotion Calendar, 2012-2013
Health & Well-being - Drug, Alcohol and Health Promotion Calendar, 2012-2013
Men’s Health Week (11th-17thJune 2012)
- Information emailed to all club members
- Information added to website - tips for men’s health (including prostate and testicular cancer awareness information
Sun Safety information
- Children given ‘swatches’ – an Ulster Cancer Foundation resource which goes around the wrist like a watch and changes colour when the suns UV rays are strong – thus encouraging children to apply sun cream.
- Sun cream sachets given to coaches for under age teams
- Leafelts distributed to parents
- Information on website on importance of sun safety
- Drugs awareness training offered by FASA for coaches .
- ‘Give drugs a red card’ is a campaign and prevention programme targeted at all types of sporting groups with the aim of educating and informing coaches on drug awareness and how to signpost people who need help.
Back to School – Healthy Lunches
- Information put on website for parents and emailed to parents of under-age players on how to pack a healthy school lunch for children
Breast awareness month
Information on website on the importance of breast awareness.
Information emailed to all senior ladies football and camogie players.
Leaflets made available for mothers of under-age players
Alcohol awareness week (second week in November)
- ‘Alcohol &Men’ and ‘Alcohol & Young people’ downloadable fact sheets emailed to club members / made available on the Bredagh Website. These will be accessed from DrinkAware
- FASA contacted and requested to provide information.
‘New Year – New You’
- Information on website encouraging club members to think about setting a healthy new year’s resolution, e.g. stopping smoking or reducing alcohol intake.
- Links provided to websites for support.
- Encourage club members to think about taking part in Belfast Marathon as a way to get fit – establishing teams to compete against each other.
- No Smoking Day (second Wednesday in March)
- Information available on the Bredagh website regarding tips for quitting and advice on stop smoking clinics.
Bowel cancer awareness month
Information provided on website increasing awareness of the warning signs of bowel cancer (one of the three most common cancers here) and the lifestyle messages which can help reduce the risk of this type of cancer.